The Lake James Environmental Association (LJEA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Western North Carolina whose mission is to protect and enhance the health and natural beauty of Lake James and its watershed. Founded in 1973, we accomplish our mission through a number of programs:
- We conduct monthly water sampling via our Water Quality Monitoring Program.
- We monitor weather events, development, and legislative issues to understand their impact and take action.
- Through a consortium of University partners, we conduct biologic and sedimentation surveys to better understand issues impacting the watershed.
- We educate the public through media awareness and our Kids in the Creek Program.
- We combat trash issues through participation in clean-ups, advocacy, education, and partnering with state and local governments and other non-profits to foster solutions.